Thursday 18 March 2021

Prasanthi Nilayam Is In The Heart

 Another day in the office?

I completed my second day at my new workplace. The 'Dwitiya Vighnam' (obstacle that arises because of not doing something newly started on the second consecutive day) had been cleared in that sense. However, I had a feeling of slight sorrow in my heart. I was missing Puttaparthi. I was missing my Radiosai days which had come to an end on my birthday, the 24th June 2020, when that divine name that Swami (Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba) had bestowed was replaced with a more corporate 'Sri Sathya Sai Media Centre'. It had taken me 9 months after that day to bid goodbye and the indications which Swami gave me during those months to take the ultimate step can be the subject of another separate post. 


"I will miss you Radiosai"
I will miss you Radiosai. It was divine while it lasted.

My mind wandered to the beautiful days spent in contemplation of Swami and sharing His message and love in the digital dimension to the world at large. I remembered my dear brothers and the wonderful time we spent together under the fatherhood of our Swami.
"It was such a beautiful 13 years Swami. Why did it have to end like this?" I wondered.

I picked up my phone and called a few of my former colleagues. So happy they were for me, encouraging the blogging and vlogging which I had restarted, that I myself wondered what I was feeling bad about!
"It's just your attachment", I told myself, "the very fact that something has happened is proof that Swami wants it that way. Why do you associate Swami with Puttaparthi alone?"


It was 10 pm. It was time to hit the sack. The past few nights before sleeping, I had been reading a chapter from 'God in Action' which is a collection of talks delivered by the revered Prof. Kasturi, Swami's biographer. Today, I thought of a change and had kept aside the book 'Sri Sathya Sai Anandadayi' to read at night. Strangely, the book was missing and was nowhere to be found. That seemed to add to the general low that I was feeling and I decided to go back to just reading another talk by Prof. Kasturi.


He is everywhere


I flipped open the book and went to my bookmark. I turned the page to the next chapter and it read, "He is Everywhere."


The chapter that opened up perfectly for me...

Wow! That little phrase used as the heading was itself enough to make me feel better. As I read on, I realised that this was the perfect antidote for my sad disposition. Prof Kasturi emphasized on the truth that every country in the world and every part of every country was His Prasanthi Nilayam. Just reading that portion made a fraction of Prasanthi (supreme peace) descend in my being. Then, to elucidate further, Prof Kasturi narrated an incident of a lady devotee from Kerala. Most probably, the incident is set in the 1980s. 


Though she was devoted to Swami, her son wasn't and he often made fun of Swami. In due course, he got married to a girl who was also devoted to Swami and the couple shifted to Calcutta (Kolkata today) where the husband's workplace was. Over time, the son was frustrated with his job. Piling on his misery was the accusation of fund-misappropriation that was cast on him by the office. Totally defeated and dejected, he left a message for his wife,
"Please don't wait for me. I shall not be coming home."


Then, he decided to commit suicide. The worried wife immediately called up her mother-in-law, the boy's mother and informed her of the bizarre message. Not knowing what else to do, the mother wrote a letter, unburdening all her fears and worries to Swami. She placed the letter under Swami's photograph which was on her altar. Her faith and feelings instantly converted her home into Prasanthi Nilayam and the photograph into Swami! 


Back in Calcutta, the son was simply not able to take his life. He lacked the courage to attempt a few methods and always had a worry at the back of his head that in case his attempt failed, he would be jailed by the police as an attempt to take one's own life would be considered a crime. Thus, he spent the whole day trying to die but was simply 'not allowed to'. When he climbed the Howrah Bridge to jump into the gushing waters below, he clearly heard a voice which said,

"Don’t jump. Don’t die. Come to me. Come to Puttaparthi."


The perfect sync of the lad's story with mine


The son was now convinced that going to Puttaparthi alone would solve his problem. His focus on Puttaparthi was much greater than his focus on Swami Himself! He later told Prof. Kasturi that he could not sleep in the train nor think of anything else except Puttaparthi. In fact, when the wheels of the train were moving, he could hear, “Puttaparthi! Puttaparthi! Puttaparthi!” 


He got down from the train at Bangalore and went to the ticket clerk and asked for a ticket to Penukonda (from where he would take a bus to travel to Puttaparthi). The clerk asked him, "Why are you going to Puttaparthi? Sathya Sai Baba is here in Whitefield." This was because the Summer Course was on and Swami was in the Bangalore Ashram. But the lad insisted on going to Puttaparthi only! Realizing it was futile to reason with him, the clerk issued him a ticket to Penukonda. 


I paused reading the story at this point because something hit me in my face. I began to relate strongly with this son and my situation was no different from his. I was so obsessed with Puttaparthi that it seemed to have become a greater focus than Swami Himself! By divine 'coincidence' my new workplace was just beside Swami's Ashram at Whitefield! AND the company employing me was 'Sai Lakshmi Industries'. That is not all. Swami had physically visited the office premises more than a dozen times.


Swami then delivered the 'knockout punch' when Prof Kasturi suddenly revealed that the son's name was - hold your breath - Arvind


I froze. Indeed, why was Arvind more obsessed with Puttaparthi than Swami? 


The name of the lad in the story!


Swami's compassion


Prof Kasturi chronicles the Lord's compassion on Arvind. Exactly on the same day that Arvind travelled to Puttaparthi, Swami, who was in Whitefield, suddenly travelled to Puttaparthi (where Prof. Kasturi was), reaching there at 6:30 pm. Everyone, including Prof. Kasturi and Sri Kutumba Rao rushed up to Him and sought the reason for Swami’s unscheduled arrival. Swami said that He had come to take a few bags of rice to Bangalore for the Summer Course. Musing on this, the professor states that there was no reason why this little task couldn't have been assigned to anyone else. But then, it was not for the ‘rice’ that Swami was going; it was for Arvind's ‘rise’! 


The next morning, this man, Arvind, was in the darshan lines. Swami walked up to him and said, 

“Ay Calcutta! Go in!”

In the interview room, Swami chided him.

“What is this foolish thing you have done? Do you know the feeling of your mother and wife? I will see that nothing happens to you. I will get you transferred. You need not go back.”


Swami then told him that He would be going back to Whitefield. 

“But you stay back for 9 days before travelling out of Puttaparthi”, He instructed.


Swami’s Divine plan was wonderful. Arvind had very little money and so, he sent a telegram to his friend in Delhi asking for money, giving his address as “Arvind, Big Shed, Prasanthi Nilayam, Puttaparthi.” In the meanwhile, the mother and wife were in anxiety and gloom and had called all known friends to enquire about Arvind’s whereabouts. The friend in Delhi who received the telegram immediately called and informed the mother and wife who travelled as soon as possible to Puttaparthi. In 9 days time, Arvind was happy, his family was happy and everything had transformed for the better. 


The collection of Prof. Kasturi's talks.
His love for Ar(a)vind

It became difficult to read any more with the tears blurring my vision. I have experienced Swami strike 2 birds with one stone of grace. This was yet another such occasion where the ‘birds’ had the same name and were separated by decades. That is Swami’s infinite love and omnipotence. 

My wife and mother too had gone through so much anxiety and gloom on account of me being low for 9 months in a row. And I felt Swami was directly telling me, an Aravind from 3 decades later, the same thing He had told Arvind,

““What is this foolish thing you have done? Do you know the feeling of your mother and wife? I will see that nothing happens to you. I will get you transferred. You need not go back.”


With joy and gratitude oozing from my heart, I looked forward to my third day in my new workplace gifted by Swami. 




Please subscribe to the blog to receive updates. You can also follow me on my YouTube Channel

59 comments:

  1. Sairam Aravind, wonderful how Swami has reassured you of His presence and the decision you took. Don't worry! He is always with you, in you, around you, behind you, above you, and so on! Beautiful blog article! Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis Aarthi. It is Swami alone who brings joy and peace in life and am forever grateful for that.

      Delete
  2. A beautiful, if not, an excellent reminder that He is everywhere and not limited only to Prashanti. In such tough times, we all have the desire to be in Prashanti to be with Him, at His place. But little do we realise that He's with us all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And each time we realize it, it strikes us at the very core of our heart and wells tears in our eyes.

      Delete
    2. TEARS of Tranquility
      Endurance
      Auspicious
      Romance
      Surrender

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful experience. Swami's love is incomparable. I had tears reading this. I can only imagine how you must have felt. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sairam Aravind. What more assurance do you need?!! He loves you so much and has convinced you that it is entirely His plan. You are His blessed child. So happy for you. Stay blessed always 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Well, more the number of assurances, more I shall enjoy (and share)... hehehehehe

      Delete
  5. At times, we are sad as things don't go as per we planned. But we forget that He has the masterplan. Beautiful and inspiring. Keep going. Swami bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sairam. Thanks for the beautiful blog. May all experience SWAMI's encompassing LOVE all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brother super it is 1000% Swami is guiding blessing transforming and using you each moment for his cosmic mission and also your growth fulfilling your life mission. Thank you shower the summer rains of more your writings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the opportunity to write is like summer rains for me too. Glad to be part of the Mission. Sairam

      Delete
  8. Sairam brother Aravind. This post has deeply moved me. I think you already have been given the divine answers and reassurance that you sought, thereby Swami taking full charge of your pain and how deeply you miss Parthi. Swami has always taught us that change is inevitable but His Love is a Constant. Prof Kasturi ji is someone I have revered all my life and I am able to relate to how you refer to his writings for clarity - I do the same till I started reading your blog and your posts always resonate very powerfully as pure Sai Inspiration whenever I feel like I am getting stuck in a rut, material or spiritual. Coming back to your post, pls keep writing candidly the way you always do. Everything happens for a reason and in our lives, Swami is the Divine Charioteer. In moments of doubts, He steers us in the right direction meant for our own well being and growth on the path. Truly now more than ever, Swami is watching over and protecting you brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Prof Kasturi is a delightful mix of the head and heart. I feel humbled and blessed to be spoken of in the same vein as him.

      Thank you for your sweet and loving words. I also hope to write candidly, without blocking the heart's flow in any manner.

      Delete
  9. Sairam. Thanks for this wonderful blog. Swami is everywhere always. Take home for me: True sadhana is to develop Detachment with the created and develop attachment only for the creator. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Nothing else is worth getting attached to. ONLY the creator.

      Delete
  10. Swamis love we can’t imagine it’s ancient...we just waves he is the ocean of love...even we think about His love and presence he will enact and plan what we need exact time, perfect timing... I always wondered about our sweet Lords Care and believe in it... trust him brother

    .loads of love ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so difficult and can cause guilt tripping to move out as an employee of SSIO. You are in control when it comes to CIA so pls don't worry. Swami will always be your guiding light. You have been instrumental in instilling great faith on swami in many like me. Your mission Perhaps is bigger and you have been called for a greater purpose. Best wishes on your new endeavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If people don't understand the full form of CIA you are referring to, they'll think something else about me! Hahahahaha

      Feels humbling to read your words. Thank you.

      Delete
  12. Sairam. I have read this incident of Arvind earlier but now with your narration I can realise and visualise our Bhagwan’s love with two of his children. What a similar name and circumstance? Looks Bhagwan has made the template decades before. Be happy. We should listen and converse with Swami within us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes a personalized one for each one of us. I had never come across this before! So, you needed to know it before and I needed it now. That's the beauty of His plan.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful Arvind
    Happy to read yr blog
    We are mere instruments in His hands.You need not feel low.His Will alone happens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more 'low' now about this decision! Very happy and very relieved. Thank you.

      Delete
  14. Sairam Brother

    He knows how to utilize his instrument. You have to inspire more people and share his message in every possible way. Keep sharing such amazing articles.🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely! That is my wish too - blogs and videos (on the youtube channel - aravind balasubramanya).

      Delete
  15. Sairam Brother

    He knows how to utilize his instrument. You have to inspire more people and share his message in every possible way. Keep sharing such amazing articles.🙏🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sairam Arvind, what a wonderful experience. We see it as coincidence. Everything happens as per His divine plan and for the right reasons. What we need is the unwavering faith. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Swamy is beyond any one's comprehension

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sairam, Beautiful experience .. exactly same thing happen with me when I was askin Swami for some advice and I ask Swami if this article which is now open in front of me is containing my name than I will consider that whatever is written their is its Your Command for me and lo and behold in Second paragraph of that discourse Swami was asking a boy his name and you know what his name was his name was VIKAS. Blissful naa ... It was really a random discourse which I searched but the seeds of faith that discourse implanted me is mesmerizing. Sairam below is the link of that discours.

    https://www.sathyasai.org/discour/2007/d071226.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Vikas! That's a beautiful experience indeed. Thanks for the link. Adds to the joy.

      Delete
  19. Sairam Aravind thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. Unfortunately most of us identify ourselves with our body and due to restricted vision limit SWAMI to HIS FORM seen by us and to Prashantinilayam, HIS abode, forgetting that HE is Formless, Eternal, Omnipresene etc.. Wisdom lies in accepting all that happens in our lives is for our own good and is by His Will in accordance with Law of Karma, our acts of Omission & Commission over our past life times till now. Let His Wisdom flow through your pen for the benefit of all. Finally as He says - Why Fear When I am Here. Prem Easwar hai Easwar Prem Hai.........

    ReplyDelete
  20. Worry not. Swami leads in unfathomable ways. You are in safest hands.Jai Sairam.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sai ram dear brother Aravind,what to say, I find shortage of words. Because as usual I was listening to today's Afternoon Sathsang ,though Prem is there I was missing you also. No pair can replace pair of Prem and Aravind. So after the programme ended,I just scrolled through Facebook , lo and behold you are there. And I started to read but after reading first few lines I could not read because my eyes were filled with tears.I thanked Swami.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jai SaiRam. Great to read your blog. Swami is with us in whatever we do. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Arvind... Bhagwan's reassurance to you for the decision. You are a truly blessed boy of Swami. All the best to you for the new job. Will continue to read your blogs n FB posts as ever.Sairam.🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanx for sharing. The pain you went only Our Pranasakha Bhagwan can relate to it. He knows your pining. Swami is always with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  25. Thank you very much dear brother Aravind. May Bhagaban Baba bless you with all that He knows is best for you. I firmly believe whatever happens to a devotee is for his/her ultimate good.
    Aum Sai Ram

    Shiv Kumar Basnet

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sairam brother. Thank you for the lovely narration. Could not avoid tears after reading this and reliving the memories of Sri Prashanthi Nilayam. Jaisairam.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you Arvind for this thought provoking Article. You are one of the Good Boy from swami's institute and also did remarkable work during your tenure in Radio Sai. May Baba be with you and give strength to spread his divine glory

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is as if you were in darshan lines and Swami directly assured you not to worry. Yes, Swami is our sole and soul refuge. Keep posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So overjoyed to read this, brother! This wonderful ( even cute) communication from God has happened with you, but as always, it feels like our own experience..and a strong message for us too. I have only learnt to love Swami and receive his love through distance fortified by the love of his students and devotees such as yourself and in fact, your own writing and videos and talks have played a BIG part in dispelling my myth of need for physical proximity to his form or his abode, but I can still imagine how difficult it is to move away from it in a way that you'd never have imagined. I also feel that Swami while reminding you of his eternal presence everywhere and with you, also received the love in your pining for what was, with love. Like you quotes him once, ..it's not about holding his hand, it's about the yearning to his the hand. ( something like that) ...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sairam...very moving and lovely!!! He is Omnipresent

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Brother Aravind,

    It’s heart touching to read how baba takes care of you .the best part about your writing is ,you write from the heart .

    The world is his mansion ( should I say Universe?)

    I have a small story to share with you .
    You can reach me at jijinambiar@gmail.com

    Sairam
    jiji

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sairam brother,

    I missed listening to you on Radio Sai - Afternoon Satsang and was looking forward every week to hear you. Now that you have revealed the reason it makes sense. I am so happy to see you are back at blogging and posting on YouTube as well.

    Thank you for sharing your experience and Swami is always with us 💛

    Lots of Love 💛💐

    Thank you for everything you do 🙂

    Sairam brother 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sairam brother,

      Accepting everything as His will. I am definitely peaceful and happy now. I am hoping to publish a blog a week and a couple of videos every week.

      Keep me in your prayers.

      Delete
  33. You've stayed in Parthi at the golden age of Swami as well as Radio Sai. So it's good to reminisce once in a way.

    There's a right time for everything. Maybe it was time for you to move out of your comfort zone at Parthi. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sai ram Aravind, I came across this article now that I miss Prashanti Nilayam sooo much and I am not able to come because of Covid.Swami helped me too! You mentioned an article where you explain why you left Radiosai and Puttaparthi. I am eager to read your experience. Sai ram

    ReplyDelete

Please do take some time to leave your valuable thoughts and feedback here. It will be an enriching read for me. :)

If you have questions or reactions which seek my response, please leave your name at least. Do not hide in anonymity. :)

Who Is Sathya Sai Baba?

"Who is Mr.Swami?" An interesting thing happened some years ago. As I was furiously plodding away at the keyboard, reliving my bea...